Hello there! I’m so excited to share this recipe for egg drop soup with corn and asparagus with you. This soup is a classic Chinese dish that is simple, comforting and delicious. The combination of eggs, corn, and asparagus creates a perfect balance of flavors and textures that will delight your taste buds. Plus, it’s easy to make and can be a great option for a light meal or starter.
I love this recipe because it’s a great way to incorporate a lot of vegetables into your diet, and it’s a perfect option for when you want something light, but still satisfying. The soup is made with simple ingredients, most of which are probably already in your pantry. And since asparagus and corn are usually in season during the same time of the year, you can find them fresh and at a low cost.
Looking for more egg drop recipes? We have more HERE!
This recipe is also a great option for vegetarians, as it can be made with vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. And it can be easily adapted to your taste, you can add more salt, pepper or any other seasonings you like.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. Let’s get started!
What Is Egg Drop Soup?
Egg drop soup is a traditional Chinese soup that is made by adding beaten eggs to a simmering broth. The eggs cook quickly and form delicate ribbons or strands in the soup. The soup is typically seasoned with salt, pepper and other seasonings such as ginger and scallions. It is typically served as a starter or light meal.
Egg drop soup is a great soup to make and eat because it is simple, quick and easy to prepare. It requires minimal ingredients, most of which are pantry staples, and can be made in just a few minutes. It is a comforting and satisfying soup that is perfect for a light meal or as a starter.
The origin of egg drop soup is not clear, but it is believed to have originated in China. It is a popular dish in Chinese cuisine and is often served in Chinese restaurants in the United States and other countries. Egg drop soup is a common dish in the cuisine of the Jiangsu and Zhejiang provinces, and it is also known as “egg flower soup” or “silk tofu soup” in Chinese.
It is also a popular dish in Chinese home cooking and is often made with the addition of ingredients like scallions, ginger, and sesame oil. It is also a popular choice for Chinese banquet and home-style meals. The soup’s delicate and light texture is considered a perfect palate cleanser for the richer and more flavorful dishes that follow.
Ingredients and Instructions
Egg Drop Soup with Corn and Asparagus (serves 4)
- 4 cups (960ml) vegetable broth or stock
- 1/2 cup (120ml) corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup (120ml) asparagus, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons (30ml) cold water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) chopped green onions, for garnish
- In a large pot, bring the vegetable broth or stock to a boil over high heat.
- Add the corn and asparagus and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Slowly pour in the cornstarch mixture while stirring constantly. This will thicken the soup.
- Slowly pour in the beaten eggs while stirring gently. The eggs will cook and form ribbons in the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat, ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped green onions.
- Enjoy your egg drop soup with corn and asparagus!
Vegetarian Alternative: To make this recipe vegetarian, you can use a vegetable broth or stock instead of chicken broth.
Egg drop soup with corn and asparagus is a good combination for a few reasons:
- Flavor: Corn and asparagus are both mild in flavor, which allows the delicate flavor of the eggs to shine through. The sweetness of the corn and the slight vegetal taste of the asparagus complement the eggs nicely.
- Texture: The eggs in the soup create a delicate, silky texture that is balanced out by the slight crunch of the corn and the tenderness of the asparagus.
- Nutrients: Both corn and asparagus are nutrient-dense vegetables that provide a variety of vitamins and minerals. Asparagus is a good source of folate and vitamins A, C, and K, while corn is a good source of dietary fiber, vitamin C and antioxidants.
- Seasonal: Asparagus and corn are usually in season during the same time of the year, which means that they can be easily found fresh in the market, at a low cost and without compromising on the flavor.
- Versatility: Corn and asparagus are quite versatile vegetables that can be used in a variety of dishes. Adding them to an egg drop soup makes it more substantial and satisfying. And it can be a great way to incorporate a lot of vegetables into your diet.
Overall, the combination of egg drop soup with corn and asparagus is a great way to create a flavorful, nutritious, and satisfying soup. It’s a great option for a light meal or starter and the combination of the vegetables with the eggs can be a great way to add variety to your diet.
In conclusion, this recipe for egg drop soup with corn and asparagus is a great way to enjoy a delicious and comforting meal that is easy to make, and full of flavor, texture and nutrients. The combination of eggs, corn and asparagus creates a perfect balance of flavors, while the simplicity of the recipe makes it easy to make and customize to your taste. Plus, it’s a great option for vegetarians, as it can be made with vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. I hope you enjoy making and eating this delicious soup as much as I do. Happy cooking!