Hello everyone! I am excited to share with you my recipe for the best ever vegan cream of tomato soup, which, as we use canned tomatoes, is perfect for all year round.
This delicious and comforting soup is made with canned tomatoes, onions, garlic, and a blend of herbs and seasonings. It is thickened with either dairy heavy or whipping cream or with coconut cream or soy cream, making it suitable for vegans and those who eat dairy.
To make this soup even more satisfying, I suggest serving it with a heaping of my super herb croutons whose recipe you will also find below, which are made with a blend of herbs and spices and are crispy and delicious. Trust me, this soup and croutons combination is a perfect hearty and filling meal that will warm you up on cold winter evenings and also refresh you on hot summer days. So, let’s get cooking!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cans/tins diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (450 ml) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250ml) heavy or whipping cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the basil, oregano, and sugar and stir to combine.
- Add the canned tomatoes (with their juice) and broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender (or transfer the mixture to a blender) and puree until smooth.
- Stir in the cream and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, topped with the herb croutons below and enjoy!
To make this recipe suitable for vegans, you can replace the heavy cream with a non-dairy alternative such as coconut cream or soy cream. You can also replace chicken broth with vegetable broth.
Herb Crouton Recipe & Instructions
Here’s a simple recipe for herb croutons that can be served with this yummy cream of tomato soup:
- 3 cups of cubed bread (use a stale bread, if possible)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl, combine the bread cubes, olive oil, thyme, basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss well to coat the bread cubes evenly.
- Spread the bread cubes out on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Serve the croutons on top of the cream of tomato soup and enjoy!
You can also use fresh herbs, such as parsley, rosemary, or chives, instead of dried herbs. Just use 3 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh herbs.
Keep in mind that you can also add some spices that you like, such as cumin, smoked paprika, or cayenne pepper for some extra flavor.
These croutons can also be stored in an airtight container and will remain fresh for about a week.
Tips for Making Cream of Tomato Soup and Croutons
Here are some tips for making the vegan cream of tomato soup and herb croutons:
- For the soup:
- Make sure the canned tomatoes are of good quality.
- For added depth of flavor, sauté the onions and garlic until they are softened and fragrant – don’t skip this step 🙂
- For a smoother texture, you can use an immersion blender or a regular blender to blend the soup until it’s smooth.
- For a creamier soup, you can add more coconut cream or soy cream.
- To make it more filling you can add diced vegetables such as carrots, celery, or bell peppers.
- Adjust the seasoning to your taste and add more herbs or spices if desired.
- For the croutons:
- Use stale bread if possible. It will be drier and will absorb the oil and seasoning better.
- Cut the bread into small cubes, about the size of a dice, so they will cook evenly.
- Be generous with the olive oil and herbs for maximum flavor.
- For extra crunch, let them cool down on the tray after baking.
- You can store the croutons in an airtight container, they will remain fresh for about a week.
- Experiment with different herbs and spices to find your perfect combination.
- Keep in mind that you can also add some diced potatoes or sweet potatoes, they will give a creamy texture to the soup.
- If you have fresh herbs instead of dried you can use them, just remember that 1 tablespoon of dried herbs is equivalent to 3 tablespoons of fresh herbs.
- Don’t hesitate to adjust the recipe to your taste, you can always add more or less of the ingredients to suit your preferences.
Additions to Pep Up The Soup
If you want to pep up the cream of tomato would with more flavour or more substance to make it a filling meal, there are lots of things you can try. The important thing is to experiment and have fun with your cooking!
- To give this yummy cream of tomato soup more flavor, you can add additional seasonings such as smoked paprika, cumin, or red pepper flakes for a little bit of heat. You can also add a splash of balsamic vinegar for a touch of acidity.
- To add more texture and make it more filling, you can consider adding some diced vegetables such as carrots, celery, or bell peppers. You could also stir in some cooked quinoa, rice, or pasta for added bulk.
- Another option is to add some diced potatoes or sweet potatoes, they will give a creamy texture to the soup.
- Also, you can add some chickpeas or lentils to make the soup more filling and nutritious.
- You could also add some chopped fresh or dried herbs such as thyme, basil or rosemary, they will give an extra depth of flavor.
- It’s a great idea to experiment with different ingredients to find the perfect combination that works for you.
And there you have it, my recipe for the best ever vegan cream of tomato soup with super herb croutons. I hope you enjoy making and eating this delicious and comforting meal. Whether you’re a vegan or someone who eats dairy, this soup is a great option for any time of the year. It’s easy to make, full of flavor and perfect for a hearty and filling meal. Serve it with a heaping of the super herb croutons, and you’ll have a complete and satisfying meal. Don’t hesitate to experiment with different herbs, spices and vegetables to make it your own. Bon Appétit!